Tuesday 21 June 2016

USARF Conversions Part 4 - Grunts with Heavy Flamers


I chose to do this article last because one of these Grunts was the most complicated conversion of this series. The other one was very easy.

Part 1 - Marauders
Part 2 - Foxtrots
Part 3 - Girl Grunts
Part 4 - Grunts with Heavy Flamers

Grunts with Heavy Flamers

These Grunts are one of my favourite units in USARF and I wanted more than one of them. I had two stater sets to decided to convert two Grunts from the box. I have used no additional bits on these, the heavy flamers were from the Marauders I have also converted (see link above). As mentioned earlier, the Grunt on the left was very easy. All I did was glue the arms on and then the flamer where his rifle used to be. I ended up with only a small gap to fill. Also what isn't very visible on the photo, I added a little connection under his right hand to match the Marauder Heavy Flamer handle.


The girl Grunt on other hand, was bit of a pain. The original model holds her rifle upwards so to be able to connect of her arms to the Heavy Flamer I had to get it go across her body. Problem was her chest was in the way. So I had to cut down her right breast to make the flamer fit, and then re-sculpt the top of the chest and match it to the original as best as I could.


The next problem was that the left arm did not match up that well because of the angle. What I ended up doing is cutting it at the elbow with clippers. The cut wasn't very clean but it allowed me to connect the forearm properly. I then had to sculpt around the elbow to make it look complete again.


The last thing was same as with most of these, green-stuffing the back of shoulders because they were not fully connected to the body. In the end I think it was worth it, gave me two more unique Grunts but I wouldn't do the Girl Grunt again.

I hope this series helps you with your conversions too. The USARF is a fun army but because it is so new (at the time of these articles), so many weapon options have no models yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment