Tuesday 17 January 2017

TTCombat Objective Room Review



This is a first of several articles I plan to do about the various terrain pieces that I use for my Serenity Valley gaming table. To start with I'd like to give a review on the TTCombat Objective Room (Building B).

Disclaimer: This is just my personal review of the product. I have not been sent this by any company to review it. In this case, I have also won it on a tournament and as such not paid for it.


Clean up and assembly

The building came in wooden MDF sprues, I believe there were two of them, slightly lager than A4 sheet of paper. None of the pieces were hard to get out. The clean up was easy too, only had to file down the small places where the pieces were connected to the sprue. 

The assembly was mostly straight forward. The main walls and the ceiling/roof slotted together nicely. The only slightly tricky thing were the protruded outer walls, each of those is made of three separate panels that have to go on in a certain way but it was really easy to figure out which way. 

Personally I have closed the side gap on protruded outer walls. It was easily achieved by cutting out shapes from a left over Infinity box. I will explain why I done it later on. I have also removed doors and a hatch on the roof, mostly so the roof can be easily removed. Otherwise I think you would struggle to take the roof off as there is no way to grab onto it.


Practicality on table

The building is the required size for an ITS Objective Room, or at least feels that way (I haven't measured it). For that reason I recommend to have the roof removable as you need to be able to move your miniatures inside and the walls are infinity height for ITS Objective Room so you can't get on the roof anyway.

If you play it as a regular building, it is bigger than S2 models so it can hide your regular troops. As with any other building that has hexagonal shape to it, you either have to agree with your opponent no shooting at legs (underneath the building) or be very mindful the protruded walls do not hide your units even when they go Prone.

My concern with this building was that the protruded walls have too many holes you can see through if you don't close the gaps on sides (as I mentioned earlier). The three panels do not connect with the main walls so you could draw a light of sight from higher level throuh the protruded wall, which personally I do not think is a good thing, kind of defeats the purpose of having terrain. It gives the terrain pieces too many unpredictable Lines of Fire, which tends to be only frustrating.  

I have found the building to work better if something is placed inside of it, otherwise it is very empty. The inner walls are just flat. Otherwise as long as you address the hexagon shape with your opponent before the game I found the building to be fairly practical. The protruded walls and gaps between them give you more options for cover than buildings with flat walls.


Conclusion

Although the assembly is easy and after minor fixes the building is practical, if I am perfectly honest I do not believe it would be my first choice if I was shopping around for an Objective Room. If you want something to only be an Objective Room there are easier options and on other hand, if you want something that can be an Objective Room and also a regular building, there are products with more details.

If you don't fix the gaps, this building could easily be frustrating for you and your opponent. Which would be the main thing to turn me away if I was looking at the picture in a store, but granted, it can be easily fixed.

That said, this building does have a different look to it and I could definitely see it fitting on tables that have other hexagonal shaped buildings. I do think the product is a good value for money for £10.

TTCombat also has a new Objective Room which is different in design, more detailed and costs the same. A very good and detailed review of that product can be found on Splayed Paint Brush blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment