Wednesday 29 June 2016

Welcome to Serenity Valley

I have been playing wargames close to a decade now but never had my own gaming table. Infinity was the first game that made me want to have one, and our Northern Alliance was also a big influence because most guys have their own table and I wanted to do my part to contribute to the Northern Open events. Since Ariadna is by far my favourite faction, I wanted to theme my table around it and also do something different from most tables I have seen, which are either industrial in theme or "generic" sci-fi cities.

I plan for this to be a series of articles about my progress on the board with reviews of the various terrain I have bought, from how difficult it was to build and how practical it is in the game. As I am writing this, the table is painted and game ready but not finished. The terrain is done in basic colours for the most part, so there will be plenty of updates to come as I'll do my best to finish it by end of the year.

And yes, I decided to name my table after Firefly show, after all my Caledonia Browncoats need somewhere familiar to fight!

Serenity Valley as it is today.

My first idea was to make an airport table, with runway and jetfighters and such but as I thought about it, I didn't see how I could make it practical and look good/realistic. I have then came across this Rust Pointe product, which I thought looked perfect for Ariadna settlement. The theme for the board changed to be half hovels settlement and half military base.

The current buildings I am using are from Zen Terrain, Death Ray Designs and Warsenal. The scatter is lots of Death Ray Designs, some random bits and few from Micro Arts Studio. For the gaming mat, I used mouse pad mat from Deep Cut Studio.

Currently I do not have plans to add terrain before I get the current things painted more. The main thing I need to get for myself though are some trees, I have been borrowing those from other people for some events but it works without them too.

I think that will do for the intro to the board! Here are some photos for you of the board building progress and set up during different ITS events.

All terrain arrived, time to start building!

Spraying Zen Terrain things green before putting it together.

Progress...

Buildings all sprayed and built!

First mock up set up.

Play-testing before Northern Open 5.

Set up at Northern Open 5.

Bunker gets a swanky new paintjob.

Set up at Birmingham Games Expo.

Set up at Gribbley Gaming Event.

No comments:

Post a Comment